The Aftermath of Egg Collection - By Vorn

I was a little nervous going into the clinic for the egg collection procedure. I’ve never had any kind of surgery/sedation before so I had no idea what to expect. I was worried I’d say something silly while I was under. I’ve watched so many YouTube videos where someone said something they would soon regret. What if I said something horrible to Millsy? Or the Specialists? Security might have to restrain my limp body and eject me to the carpark.

I was slightly more sedated than the norm (I had an anesthetist) because of my high number of follicles and oddly positioned right ovary. It turns out I quite like being sedated. I knew it was going to be okay when I felt the drugs wash over me like a warm blanket and I felt all cosy and happy. Dr Mary Birdsall and the other staff were absolutely incredible. I felt in safe hands and I was lucky to have Mills sitting by my side, cracking dad jokes and keeping me relaxed. I’ve since heard there are a few places around the world that don’t allow partners in the room during the egg collection. Why is that I wonder? I would have been way more nervous if Mills hadn’t been allowed to be there.

Also, I didn’t have to worry about saying horrible things. It turns out I’m not only a happy Tequila drinker, I’m also a happy sedated person too. Mills told me afterwards that I kept telling the Doctors how clever they were. Ha ha! Go motivational sedated me! All in all, the whole event was a massive success. They retrieved 16 eggs, 12 of which were mature and 10 were fertilized.

Woop, go the ‘spermy wermies’ and ‘eggy weggies’!

I didn’t realise, however, that the procedure would ‘knock me for six’ on the immediate days following. I had read about people having their collection done in the morning and then returning to work in the afternoon. That wasn’t my experience. I thought, ’the eggs will get collected and then voila I’ll feel better and I won’t feel so bloated and I can catch a late movie’. I didn’t realize that after it’s all done, the follicles then fill up with blood (yum) so you feel pretty much as bloated as you did before. It’s taken me a good four days for things to settle down and resume my morning walks to the cafe down the street.

It seems that everyone has a different experience. Some people have no after effects. Some people wind up with the dreaded OHSS (ovarian hyper-stimulation syndrome), and can even spend time in hospital (very rare apparently). I’m pretty much back to normal except for the two kgs I’ve gained, I’m guessing from all the hormones.

Because we’ve done a ‘freeze all’ cycle (due to my high number of eggs), the next step is to determine how many of the ‘little guys’ will make it to Day 5 - the Blastocyst stage. We were a little disappointed we couldn't put a fresh one back in the oven, but now that I’ve lived with these giant ovaries, it’s definitely advisable. The best thing to do is to wait for my body to calm down before the transfer. I think I forget sometimes how crazy this whole process really is! I mean, someone just ‘hoovered’ 16 eggs out of my bloody ovaries, which I made in NINE DAYS when I normally only make one a month!

Cray cray!

Cray cray Amazing though!



© 2017 Mills and Vorn.

  • Black Facebook Icon
  • Black Instagram Icon